June 2017
        1 2 3

• 06.30.17 01:35am last update

Oct 29 2004

Autumn Blaze Maple

Some leaves from one of our Autumn Blaze Maples (Acer X Freemanii). A cultivar of red and silver maples, the patented Autumn Blaze Maple has brilliant orange-red color, dense and healthy branching, and vigorous growth that protects from insects and disease. But, most importantly, it has "superior crotch angles" and that is always a good thing.

094autumnblaze.jpg

1. i never knew trees had crotches...it makes me wonder who is in charge of judging the superiority of these said crotches...and if they also do this to people...

AGK said on October 29, 2004 | Reply

Very nice. All the leaves in my area that are this color are at the tops of the trees where I can't get close yet.

Beth said on October 29, 2004 | Reply

Wow! The leaves are beautiful. I can't wait for our leaves to all turn. My family is orginally from East TN and you can see the knobs (that's bigger than a hill but smaller than a mountain) turn shades of red, yellow, orange and brown. I am homesick for its beauty.

4. Beautiful!

5. Thanks for the gorgous picture. I don't get to see much of that here in my part of Orange County, CA.

6. lovely picture, leaves here just go brown fall and block the drains... came via blogexplosion

7. WOW. Beautiful Picture. We dont get autumn here where I live, at least the leaves dont change colour :( I saw your blog through blogexplosion. Good Job so far! ^_^

8. I love the picture!

9. The colors are so perfect. This is my favorite time of year!!

10. very beautiful - the shading in the photo is especially nice.
    I would like to get out myself and get some shots, but I keep forgetting to buy batteries for my good camera!!

Sandra said on September 5, 2005 | Reply

That is one of the nicest pics of Maple leaves I have ever seen... I am trying to find this tree in Canada and cannot find them here anywhere... how big are the leaves? I notice that they do not look blotchy, which is nice as some of the maple trees here look 'notched', like some disease is attacking them. How old is your tree? How tall? Does your tree have any seeds on it? If I cannot find the trees here I'd like to get seeds. If someone sent you a self addressed stamped bubble envelope could you sweep up some of the biggest seeds into it when it is fall cleanup time?

William & Faye said on September 11, 2005 | Reply

My wife and I have transplanted 10 Autumn blaze maple seedlings into pots for transplant at a later time and would like to know how to care for them over the coming winter. We're not sure if the harsh winter (ie,snow, freezing rain) will harm them in their first year of growth.
    Thank-you
    Bill & Faye

Joy said on September 30, 2005 | Reply

My fiancee and I are getting married in two weeks. We are having a seed ceremony in place of a candle ceremony and would like to plant Autumn Blaze Maple seeds because it is my favorite tree. I have been unable to find these seeds and am heart-broken about it. Do you know where I can buy the seeds?

Don said on October 2, 2005 | Reply

"Autumn Blaze" is a registered trademark and owned by Poplar Farms, Inc., who created the patented Autumn Blaze Maple. Although the website for Poplar Farms says that they are "wholesale only," all questions should be directed to them as I imagine if they can't help you out, they can put you in contact with someone that can.

Glenn said on April 28, 2006 | Reply

I planted an autumn blaze maple in '97 and it's grown nicely to 25 to 30 feet tall and goes from deep red in early fall to a bright pink before the leaves drop. Last year ('05) It really began to provide meaningful shade to the house and yard. However, this spring I've found that my sterile hybrid of a Maple tree is producing seeds!

I took a small branch and my receipt to the nursery where I bought it and they were suprised. The seeds at least at this point are smaller than I'm familiar with and red in color.

I'm wondering if they won't sprout or it will be as in Jurassic Park where Jeff Goldblums character says "Life will find a way". The guys at the nursery thought perhaps because last year was a bit dry it may be stressed and trying to propagate itself because of that.

Any thoughts out there?

Matt said on June 3, 2006 | Reply

Glenn,
    I had the same problem with the two autum blazes in my yard. The seeds came this year. I have yet to ask why, but I think the nursery could be right. It was really dry last summer where I live.

I also have a Marmo Maple in my yard, that is also seedless and it didn't have any seeds this year, so who knows!

Dennis Kirby said on August 11, 2007 | Reply

You can buy Autumn Blaze Maples at Wal-Mart where I bought my two

18. I have a one year old autumn blaze maple, roughly 1.5" in caliper, the end of the leaf tips have turned dark brown. Watering has been strictly monitered as preventing over and under conditions. I am just wondering if wind burn could have created yhis problem???? PLEASE SEND ME ANY INFO THAT i COULD POSSIBLY CURE THIS PROBLEM.
    Thanks, Cliff Martin

CJ said on November 1, 2007 | Reply

Plants go to seed when in stress to repopulate. Plant location, soil drainage, acidity, sun, wind, winter protection, there are a multitude of factors as simple as we watered flowers under the tree that had no stress so therefore it got enough water.

madelynn williams said on May 29, 2009 | Reply

I purchased 2 autumn blaze maples about 2 1/2 years ago. The top died out on one of them and the other seems ok. They both seem stressed and just trying to hang in there. I have been watering them, since the weather in the past has been a little dry, but perhaps I haven't watered them enough.

My nephew told me that these particular trees have been diagnosed in my neighborhood with a disease and can destroy other trees in the area.

Can you help so I don't have to cut them down.

Thank you.