December 2014

Bruce Banner: Don, I am somewhat embarrassed by the comments made opposing your Family trip. I for one disagree ... [view]

Kerry Evans: Hello Erik not sure if this site is still active but I too was on that flight at the age of 9 and ha... [view]

Anonymous: I actually attend Florida State University and we have a contract with the Seminole tribe. They dict... [view]

Devo: Well... this is an embarrassing article isn't it? Ah Lance... what a liar, cheat and absolute jerk ... [view]

Deanna (Carney) Pickering: Don, I was in Ron's class at TU but didn't know him well. I just came across your page today and wa... [view]

• 12.09.14 08:15am last update

October 28, 2014 @ 10:53 PM
December 9, 2014 @ 1:00 AM

Feb 11 2005

BOAC Junior Jet Club

144boac.jpgAnyone else been a member of the BOAC Junior Jet Club? Or, flew enough miles to get their 25,000 mile certificate? And, did this all before they were one year old? Without ever crying?

Thanks to my father's job as a Geophysicist for Standard Oil/Amoco, my family traveled quite a bit overseas. Starting when I was just eight weeks old, I took to the air: Bangkok to Teheran to London to Johannesburg back to London to Chicago, New York to Manchester to London to Johannesburg for a total of 33,486 miles in just eight months. My mom says I did it all without crying. Here's the log book:

145logbook1.jpg

146logbook2.jpg

147boacpin.jpgI have my 25,000 mile certificate somewhere...just not too certain where that is right now.

[UPDATE:] I have a scan of blank pages from my logbook which I will gladly email to anyone who is still filling in their logbook and wants a copy. Just leave a comment below with your correct email address and I'll send it out to you.

David Huggett said on April 16, 2005 | Reply

You beat me. My first entry was when I was 18 months old. November 1966 London, UK to Detroit, USA on BOAC VC10. Subsequently, the book was full by 1975, so adopted the British Aiways Junior Jet Club book which was full by 1995. I still record every flight. I made up a template on computer and add these to the back of the full BA log book. It's pretty nice looking back.

Brenda Morris said on May 14, 2005 | Reply

Good effort American cousins.
    First entry in my BOAC Junior Jet Club Log Book is 6 Feb 1959, London to Rome, 960 miles in a Brittania 312!
    25000 certificate awarded 1 Aug 1968.
    Have run out of space. Good idea to replicate blank pages. Any chance of a copy, as an attachment to an e-mail?
    Happy flying, Brenda (Reading, Berkshire UK)

Don said on May 14, 2005 | Reply

I've scanned a copy of my blank pages and have sent them to you in an email. Enjoy!

Brad said on June 24, 2005 | Reply

I have two BOAC Junior Jet Club pins that were given to me. I was about to list them on E-bay, but thought I woulf check out some background on them. Do you know anyone that would be intrested in them?

cathy price said on August 8, 2005 | Reply

I have a 100.000 mile certificate. My Dad was posted to Japan so my sister and I who were at boarding school in England flew out there in the school holidays the long way round ie NOT over the pole. The jounery took about 27 hours with frequent stops. Then later my Dad moved to Singapore which was almost as far. My Mum has my Log book and certificates somewhere (I hope). I was asked to go on local TV when I got the 100 000 miles but I refused as I was too shy and the thought terrified me.
    yours Cathy Price

Michael said on February 1, 2006 | Reply

Hi, grown up in the sixties B.O.A.C. and BEA have been our favourite airlines. I like to collect some old and rare items from the good old days. So, I am interested in the Junior Jet Club pins. Bytheway, how about a B.O.A.C. pin (speedbird)?
    Thank you for responding.
    Best regards,
    Michael C Douglas

chris delorey said on May 28, 2006 | Reply

i recently found a junior jet club pin at my wifes grandmothers garage sale, it doesnt say boac, but is identical to that one otherwise

Pete said on October 25, 2006 | Reply

I thought you might be interested to know that the Captain who signed the book for the flight London to Jo'burgh on the 1/1/66 was Norman Todd. This Captain went on to be head of pilot training in BOAC/ BA on the B747 and Concorde aircraft and infact was the Captain on the BA Concorde's first flight London -Bahrain

Deborah Miller said on November 20, 2006 | Reply

I have got my junior jet club book and still get it filled in, it always causes a stir and prior to 911 i quite often was allowed into the cockpit, however have come to the end of the book so would love an email with the scanned blank pages before i fly again in march.
    I too did most of my miles when a baby as dad worked in
    Lagos Nigeria and flew home every six months till i was 5

paddy cox said on November 29, 2006 | Reply

I was boac cabincrew from 1958 for 24 years and filled in many junior jet books. I worked on stratocruisers comets vc10s 707s 747s and concorde

christine said on January 7, 2007 | Reply

Just found your web site, I to was member of the junior jet club during the late 50s and the 60s, unfortuanelty the book was lost during various house moves. However i flew many times back and forwards from London to Lagos and various other places in between as my Dad worked in Nigeria. We stayed for a year and flew home to the uk for 3 months or stayed in the Canary Isles if it was cold at home!

I do still have the pin from BOAC.

Jim said on January 15, 2007 | Reply

anyone any idea where, if possible to get a new book?

Val said on March 16, 2007 | Reply

I still have my Junior Jet Club Log Book as well,that spans from 1958 to 1972, have not kept it up since then. I have 149,463 miles on mine, but never did get a certificate, still have the badge as well.
    I looked with great interest at yours pages for my fathers signature as he was a pilot for BOAC for 27 years.

Helen Cotterill said on April 4, 2007 | Reply

Hi, I flew aound the world twice with my parents before I was 5 before we landed in England and my dad sold the first ever dishwasher to the queen ! - my mom said I slept most of the time - I do remember the DC 10's though and I have the junior jet club pin and the book and certificates which I am going to hand down to my eldest son.

Peter Bee said on April 30, 2007 | Reply

The jet club book reminds me of The flights I took with the BOAC in the early sixties.

ie. In a comet low over the sahara sand dunes and able to see every detail in the moonlight.

Thank you B.O.A.C

P.K. Venkatachalam said on May 28, 2007 | Reply

Hi there,

I just chanced upon your website. And Boy! I was just transported back to the 60s and 70s. I too was a member of BOAC's Junior Jet Club. My dad worked with BOAC (which later went on to become British Airways) from 1951 to 1981. He was throughout in Bahrain, and myself and my sister, who were then studying in India, would make twice-yearly trips to the island. It was only a short 3 1/2-hour hop but every minute of it enjoyable. Back then we did not have inflight movies (at least not until the mid 70s). But we were kept occupied with crayons and drawing books and at times even taken to the flight deck to say hello to the captain and the other crew members. And what is more, the flights were hardly full. We had the entire aircraft to ourselves.

As it usually happened, all the unaccompanied kids (mostly children of BOAC staff members joining their parents in Bahrain for holidays) would be chaperoned by a gorgeous looking hostess, made to wear a triangle shaped "Unaccompaneid Passenger" tag. All of us would also be wearing the JJC pin and carrying the JJC log book. Once on board the aircraft (which was usually a VC10 or a 707 back in the 60s and then in the 70s Boeing 747), the hostess would collect our JJC log book to be signed by the captain. The longest distance in my log book is Hong Kong-Bahrain.

I still have the JJC log book and the pin and I have no intention of parting with either of them.

I remember the occasion when JJC members were taken aboard the Concorde for a walk-about at Bahrain airport. I think the captain's name was Leo Budd. One side of the aircraft fuselage was painted in the BA livery and the other in Singapore Airlines colours. Simply Unforgettable!

Since then, over the years, I have flown many airlines, but BOAC, with which I have come to associate my growing-up years, is my all-time favourite.

Eddie Crunden said on July 9, 2007 | Reply

Hi All,

Reading all your comments takes me back in time. I was born in Sarawak in 1956 and flew back and forth to boarding school in the UK from 1963 to 1966 and was a member of the BOAC Junior Jet Club. Although I still have my 25,000 mile certificate, unfortunately I have lost my log book and badge.

I have so many happy memories of flying at that time. We were often escorted around the underside of the aircraft by a member of the crew before a flight and we could go and speak to the captian in the cockpit midflight. The stewardeses were fantastic.

I have so many memories of this time that I will always treasure. Thanks to all those who looked after us.

Regards,

Eddie

ANDREW said on September 19, 2007 | Reply

Acquired mine flying Comets to Lagos in 1960 aged 4
    when Nigeria was still part of the Empire............
    How ancient & politically incorrect IS THAT!

First flew by Boeing Stratocruiser.

guest said on September 25, 2007 | Reply

What immediately comes to my mind is the slogan: "I flew 25.000 miles with BOAC and all I got was this lousy brooch" :D

Andrew Ward said on October 19, 2007 | Reply

I was a Junior Jet Club member in the 1960s and received my 150000 mile certificate.

My father, Capt Stan Ward, was a BOAC Captain fron 1946 to 1971 and I am sure, wrote in many of your log books.
    He flew all manner of aircraft including the first scheduled passenger transatlantic jet service from london to New York on a Comet 4, where he met my mother, who was a stewardess.

I have many fond memories of my flying experiences and was fortunate enough to have been allowed to sit in the "jump seat" in the cockpit, on many flights, including a landing at Kaitak airport in HongKong in 1967.

I still have my JJC book and certificates but not my badge, which I think I swapped for a pet rabbit age 7!

These were great years and BOAC was a wonderful experience as a child

neil hannah said on November 7, 2007 | Reply

What a great site! Like many other posters I was taken back to my own journeys between London and Lagos/Kano in the late fifties.

I do not remember the aircraft to and from NIgeria, but I definately remember re-fuelling stops in places such as Tripoli, Barcelona and Rome.

I no longer have my badge, but does anybody remember the Junior flight holdalls? About 12 inches square in light silver/gray vinyl with the BOAC logo in white? I used mine for many years whilst at school in Australia in the early sixties - sadly another casualty of too vigorous spring cleaning long ago.

If any of this rings any bells - I love to know more. Thanks again.

maggie snook said on November 11, 2007 | Reply

Travelled as a very young child from 1951 onwards Airwork, vickers viking to khartoum, took two days ,Parents were out there for a few years but we used to come home on leave on the Breamar castle, and Warwick castle from Port Sudan. Then eventually flew in the comet, then vc10. When I was a teenager I met Cats eyes Cunningham who was putting the vc 10 through it's paces in the Sudan.
    Interestingly though during a different spell in Nigeria my parents had, I used to travel school holiday special from uk, by Brittannia to Lagos, stopping i think in Barcelona, and Kano. I do remember during the Congo problems a plane was diverted to rescue missionaries and others, and we as children returned to the Uk from Nigeria with very different frightened l Belgians who also had their little dogs on board with them, escaping the massacres in the Congo.

We always used to say BOAC, better on a camel!
    How lovely to read everyones wheni stories!

Don Iliffe said on February 24, 2008 | Reply

I have a BOAC Speedbird pin, that I inherited from my mother, in good condition.

I don't want to sell it, but have wondered if it is worth much, apart from general interest that is.

Don said on February 24, 2008 | Reply

I just noticed the comment about the captain flying the first Concorde flight from London to Bahrein.

I was comanding an RAF Mountain/Desert Rescue Team In the ME at the time and we were put on 30 Minute standby during its flight in case of emergency. Thankfully nothing happened, but it is a curious coincidence.

Fr Bill said on June 4, 2008 | Reply

Just found your blog. I too was a JJC member. Have flown all my life. Sadly, I was never bright enough to continue flilling in my log book. Very sad about that. I am a 2million Miler with AA's AAdvantage Programme, a hundred thousand miler with United and a hundred thousand miler with BA.

Nowadays my journeys are much shorter - most often to Chisinau Moldova, the states, and a few trips to Japan and Australia, where I once lived.

Truthfully, I miss those days, but now absolutely loath the idea of getting on an aircraft to anywhere in North America.

My son's first flight was when he was ten days old and my daughter's was when she was 12 days old. They've never looked back. Travel motivates the heart and expands the mind. It's a pity the industry has turned it into little more than a poorly run bus experience now.

May all your journeys be happy.

Fr. B+

Rolly said on July 23, 2008 | Reply

My logbook says 30 Aug 1960, Comet GAPDJ, Nairobi London. I can't read the Captains signature. I still fly frequently with British Airways, but sadly life has changed, then it was magical. I have lots of other log books both as a military and civilian pilot but none of the entries hold the same sense of wonder.

Geoffrey Lee said on August 5, 2008 | Reply

My siblings and I each had one entry our my Junior jet club books - London Heathrow to Toronto Malton in mid August 1964. My father took the flight and we returned by ship. RMS Carmania of the CUNARD line.

The first and only time I went on BA - Blast Off And Crash as it was nic-named, was in December 1978 (flight 080) returning January 1979 (flight 081).

Still enjoy taking the boats even if they are freighters.

Peter Pisani said on August 14, 2008 | Reply

I became a member of the BOAC Junior Jet Club when my family and I flew to Australia in 1965 to migrate and continue our lives there. Flying in a BOAC Comet 4 Aircraft we left London to Cario to Karachi to Bankok to Singapore to Darwin then our final destination Melbourne Australia. I was 10 years old then and now I am 52. I remember that I was invited to visit the cockpit of the aircraft while in flight, Thats something that dosen't happen any more these days. It was a great and safe flight considering a few of the Comet's fell out of the sky in the 50's until the problem was solved. I still have my Junior Jet Club Badge but unfortunatly lost my Junior Jet Club Log Book. I hope this is of intrest to someone.

Regards Peter Pisani

Chris Bell said on August 28, 2008 | Reply

Hi everyone.
    I was fortunate enough to have a Father who was a Flight Engineer with BOAC / BA and also had a couple of Junior Jet Club Log Books.
    I found it great fun getting the entries from the flights I was on.
    I often look back and wish I could travel like that now!

Debbie Miller said on October 20, 2008 | Reply

Don I wonder if you can email me the blank page for the junior jet club book as i am still filling mine in and have run out of space , fly tomorrow to Namibia always leave everything to the last second, Thanks Debbie

Don replied to Debbie Miller on October 20, 2008 | Reply

Debbie, glad to hear people are still filling in their log books! I've emailed you a scan of blank pages from my logbook. I hope it will be useful to you.

Louise Z said on November 26, 2008 | Reply

I was a member of the JJC and travelled from the UK to Nigeria many times between 1954 and 1963, then several times to the US. I don't know what happened to my logbook, and unfortunately my badge was stolen in a jewelry theft from my home many years ago. In addition to having the log book signed on each trip, my other fond memory of early intercontinental flying was the very plush bathrooms, and the Elizabeth Arden makeup, perfumes and lotions provided. In this day and age, I probably wouldn't be allowed to spend as much time as I did then in the bathroom, fiddling around and looking at myself in the mirror!

Jonathan said on April 15, 2009 | Reply

I have never been a member of the BOAC Junior Jet Club, but my dad was. First entry is 1956 in a C-47 (DC-3)...London to Khartoum 7:45 3,316 miles.

While not all of his flights are present, he kept up with his book for the rest of his life. Many of the flights are not BOAC (now BA), but the history is still there.
    C-47 (aka DC-3), Comet IV and many others all the way up to some of today's giants of commercial aviation.

My family has created log-sheets for dad's book, as well as for each of the kids in my family. I would love to have a copy of the original BOAC blank page.

marg said on May 7, 2009 | Reply

Hi,
    just found your web page. Still have my wings but unfortunatly lost my log book. I first flew when i was 9, unaccompanied, in 1957 from london to nigeria with a stop over at rome to refuel! It took the best part of the day to get there. Happy memories. Kept the ciggie case of my mothers. and books

Don McComb said on May 7, 2009 | Reply

Hello there!

I am envy all of you that flew BOAC in those days. I've flown BA 747's many times between Miami and Heathrow and Gatwick, but it's not the same. I found this web page doing BOAC 707 research. I am a aviation author/historian. I also have a large collection of BOAC 707 aircraft parts from a few of the 707-436 series aircraft. Items in my collection include aircraft doors,fuselage sections, instrument panels. These were all obtained over 20 years ago when the majority of the early BOAC 707's were scrapped. I have in my collection, pieces from G-APFB, G-APFF, G-APFO. I would love to have email scans of any pages of those Junior Jet Club logs that show those aircraft to enhance the history and memory of my little museum. I can be reached at aircrash@aol.com
    Many thanks, and it was great reading those BOAC memories!

Don McComb
    Miami,FL USA

Adam Quinan said on May 14, 2009 | Reply

Just stumbled on this site from BOAC's Wikipedia page. My brothers and I all earned our 25,000 mile certificate in the mid to late 1960s when my father was working in Baghdad and we were at school in England. His company chose which airline we had to use, so we didn't fly on BOAC every time, I still recall the distance credited was just over 3000 miles.

I think the local BOAC representative used to have a party in Baghdad at Christmas which we were invited to as JJC members. There was also a newsletter which was sent to us with stories about BOAC. I recall reading about when they introduced the Boeing 747, but we mostly flew on VC-10s.

Stuart Williams said on June 22, 2009 | Reply

Hi Everyone.
    I came across this site while looking up the JJC badges. Read all the comments with great interest, thank you all so much.

I have seen a badge as illustrated and also another like it, but without any airline name. I have also seen similar JJC badges issued by British Airways.

I have a couple of questions relating to the badges and hope someone can help.

When was a JJC badge issued – once with the log book or everytime a child travelled?

Were there special badges issued with the 25,000 mile certificates?

When did BOAC first start issuing their JJC badges?

When did British Airways cease with them?

Kind regards.

Stuart Williams (stuartwilliams59@yahoo.co.uk)

STUART REEVES said on July 23, 2009 | Reply

My three sisters and myself received our log books and wings on our first flight from Nairobi to London on BOAC Britannia 102 G-ANBF (04.04.1961) and over the years Comet(EAA) and 707s(QANTAS). Through the years have flown many different airlines and aircraft types which have all earned a place in the log book. I have two log books(one full,while the other is close ,being the last two pages). Still have the wings too which i received when requesting my second log book all those years ago.
    Other airline in log book are-BOAC,EAA,QANTAS,PAN AM,UTA,AIR NEW ZEALAND,BRITISH AIRWAYS,JETSTAR,ALASKAN,DELTA UNITED,WESTERN,VIRGIN BLUE,ANSETT,EMIRATES and some minor players too.
    Best flights ever were first three and Alaskan.

All the best,
    Stuart

David Warren said on August 22, 2009 | Reply

Hi,
    My family emigrated from the UK to Australia in 1969. I can still recall the highlights of that BOAC 707 flight, especially flying at an odd angle, because we had an engine fail on the leg to Karachi.
    I still have that BOAC Junior Jet Club Badge, and the distance logged from London Heathrow to Sydney Kingsford-Smith is etched in my memory - 11,860 miles.

Best wishes and thanks to all.
    David Warren

Tom said on October 13, 2009 | Reply

Would there be any responsible repository of manifests/passenger lists( for BOAC flights from the early '60's Nairobi-London-Miami
    or any other well-traveled routes) still in existence?
    OR have all such official records been discarded or destroyed

Bosteen Paul said on November 5, 2009 | Reply

Well I just came across my log book ,having found it in the bottom of a box (we move a lot) my first entry is when I was 3 months old in 18/5/58 from Kano to Rome, through to London then 3 months later London- Angiers-Kano-Accra, this went on for 10 years so I have a total of 30098 miles, I hope to come across my badge some day My book is signed by Captain O.P Jones, and the last entry on 16jan 1968 is signed by Captain Nuggett, since I see that some of you flew out to Nigeria in those years who knows maybe we were on the same flights

Geraldine Lees nee Wood said on December 14, 2009 | Reply

This summer having just turned 50 I found my Junior Jet Club Log Book.
    I only used it once flying to and fro from London to New York.I was 11 and flew with my sister age 10 to stay with my Auntie. We flew out on a Super VC10 GMSGR on 08 April 1971 Captain R W Harwood (looks like) Flew home 25 April 1971 G APPD 707 Captain Dennis Lundy.This November I flew BA to Miami and joked with my children that I would take my log book with me and get it signed. They were very embarassed at the thought so I did.This time Captain Tim Home and John Coates signed it .The cabin crew said it was probably quite valuable as it was in pristine condition,so I shall put it safely away again !

Leon said on January 22, 2010 | Reply

Was wondering if I could get a copy of a blank flight page. Thanks.

Don replied to Leon on January 22, 2010 | Reply

Leon, I've sent you an email with an image of the blank pages attached.

Marshall Holman said on February 27, 2010 | Reply

This is further proof of the power of the internet. How a random memory can be verified. I received one of those badges with wings when I was about 2 years old. I cant find it now.

Justin said on April 30, 2010 | Reply

I remember with fondness my membership of the Junior Jet Club in the 1970s. Does anyone have copies of the official magazine featuring the cartoon version of Dilbert? I would love to see it again. We crossed the world twice from NZ to the UK and I proudly earned my cadet's badge. However, having infamously kicked (aged 6) the back of JK Galbraith's seat from London to Washington, I hold my membership all the more precious, having nearly been expelled. He eloquently shook his fist at me after the first 8 hours of torment.

47. Wow, just googled Junior Jet Club and suddenly transported back to childhood in a big way. I remember being so excited when we flew somewhere and got our log book completed with the flight info. I have no idea what happened to it. But the badge - well how familiar is that! My dad was a pilot instructor for BOAC from 1958 to 1974. He trained pilots on 707's and VC10's. His name was Alec Norman Bristow. He had been a Squadron Leader in the RAF during the war and had been a prisoner of war at Stalagluft III for 2 1/2 years before the war ended. Does anyone remember him - I am trying to piece together his life before he died.
    Anything at all would be brilliant to hear about. Thanks, Fiona Bristow.

mitch said on June 15, 2010 | Reply

I purchased a Junior Jet Cadet pin at a Tallahassee flea market this past weekend for two dollars, could anyone tell me if it has any real worth.

Michael G Braybrook said on July 22, 2010 | Reply

Stumbled on your site. Ran through many Junior Jet Club logbooks in the 50's & early sixties. Recall LAP North to NY via Prestwick & Gander on a DC7C in June 1957. Trips three times a year to Bahrain 1958 - 1963 on Britannia 102's then 312's then Comet 4. Recall going to Bagdhad cicra 1963 or 4 in a VC10

Further trips in the late fifties / early sixties to Kingston Jamaica on a Boeing 707, to the US on 707's, to Australia on 707's in Asia & Japan on VC 10's.

Many years later flew some of these routes myself in air races and small single and twin pistons.

Simon said on July 30, 2010 | Reply

Sadly lost my logbook and badge years ago!

Very much enjoyed looking at your site and hope you don't mind but I put a link to your page on the following Facebook site: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=40433364928&ref=ts

Happy to remove if an issue.

Cheers,

Simon

tony said on August 16, 2010 | Reply

I recently met a man with a metal detector who was using it on the beach about 200 - 300 yards to the West of the Old Sportsman pub/restaurant at Seasalter, Whitstable Kent.

You can probably guess what is coming next. He has found a junior Jet Club Badge Buried in the sand and shingle at that spot, very corroded, he could only just make out the words junior jet club.

Neither he nor I knew what it was. I said that I would Google it and found this web site Does anybody remember loosing such a badge at or near that location, bearing in mind that the sea can move small things a long way from their original location due to the long shore drift.

Oh and does each badge have a membership number?

I do not know the man’s name,. address, or telephone number but I do run across him from time to time.

Kevin Shannon said on October 30, 2010 | Reply

I just found this website and thought I would add my experiences. I am a Junior Jet Club Member since September 1965. My Father was an American geologist and we moved from the US to Perth Australia in '64, and I was 5 years old. My first jet experience was a Pan Am 707 from LAX to Honolulu, then a Qantas 707 on to Brisbane, Sydney and Perth. We would travel home for vacation once a year, and usually go round the world as the fare was the same. Those were the best days of air travel...the early jets and great service !!

My first BOAC flight was a 707 from Rome to Hong Kong, via Beirut, the gulf, Colombo, and Bangkok in September 1965. Unfortunately I didn't have this in my logbook. My next BOAC flight was returning from a vacation..Singapore to Perth on January 22, 1967 on BOAC 707 G-APFD, I can't read the pilot's name.

My next BOAC flight was August 18, 1968 from Prestwick to Toronto on the same 707...G APFD. I remember this flight well as it was delayed about 7 hours, and BOAC put us all on a bus and toured us around the beautiful countryside for several hours.

By this time we moved back to the US for a year, and then we moved to Tehran. I flew on my first and only VC10 ...G-ARVC from Heathrow to Tehran via Tel Aviv. Great flight, and I went up to the cockpit from Tel Aviv to Tehran. This was August 28, 1969.

After those flights, my last 2 BOAC flights were on 747's across the Atlantic to Chicago and JFK in '73 and '74. I did fly on BEA Tridents several times, and also a BEA Comet from LHR to Lisbon in '66. I also flew on a MalaysianSingapore Comet from Manila to Singapore in '67

I am slowly collecting the airline timetables from these flights and it is great fun to look back and see the routes available back in the day. If you do a search for your aircraft, you should be able to find a picture of them, usually on www.airliners.net. I have found both the planes I know I flew on this way.

Apart from BOAC, going between Australia/Asia to Europe I flew many times on Qantas, and also JAL and Air India. The service was always much better on a 'foreign' airline versus Pan Am, in our opinion.

Thanks for letting me share my experiences.

Raymond Iliffe replied to Don Iliffe on December 20, 2010 | Reply

Hi Donald, I think you may be my half brother! I spoke with the Moores this weekend and they helped me with a little family history, fantastic especially since I've had no contact with any blood family (apart from that crap letter I wrote to you in the RAF way back in the seventies!) for almost 50 years.

Would you mind just dropping me an email as I'd love to know more about our mother and it appears you had at least some contact with her. iliffe1997@hotmail.com.

Cheers,
    Ray

Helen said on February 22, 2011 | Reply

I've still got my JJC log-book and badge in the original envelope. My parents lived in Kiribati in the days when it was still the Gilbert & Ellice Islands and my sister and I had been round the world about 3 times before we were 10.

We religiously got our log-books filled in but never sent them off for the certificates!

I've now got a 20 month-old daughter and as my new business entails a lot of long-distance flights and she's coming too I would love to have a log-book for her.

Does anywhere issue a similar thing today or do blank ones ever come up on eBay or similar.

Can't understand why they don't still exist - although if they did they'd probably be all modern and flashy colours. I loved the way it looked so official - I think it matched the old UK passport?

Great memories...

Simon said on February 23, 2011 | Reply

Very much enjoyed reading this + please have a look at the following Facebook site. We have 90 members but hoping to push for 100+

Cheers,

Simon

robert hazelton said on March 17, 2011 | Reply

I have a question about the air line BOAC I was young in 1965 but I met a gentleman in Nassau Bahamas who was with a group of people who look to be his entourages I believe they said he was a prince.I'm not sure if he was from but I think he was from Saudia Arabia but he was one nice person.I was told his father either own it or he was the head of the A/L BOAC. I would love any info on this. Thank you Bob Hazelton

P.K.Venkatachalam said on March 18, 2011 | Reply

Hi,

Could someone please let me know where I can get old flight passenger manifests. My dad travelled on BA Concorde from Bahrain to Bombay in 1978. I would like to have the passenger manifest of that flight. Does the airline preserve old passenger manifests, I wonder.

Carolyn said on April 1, 2011 | Reply

Hi I would really appreciate the scanned pages. My book was stolen a few years ago when my house got broken into. I would love to start something new for my children. Many thanks. Carolyn

Don replied to Carolyn on April 1, 2011 | Reply

Carolyn,

Sorry to hear about your break in and theft. A scan of blank pages is on their way to you.

Luke Anderson said on April 14, 2011 | Reply

Hi,
    I would really like a copy of these pages thanks! I'm writing a book about B.O.A.C and the Comet and the Vickers VC 10 for a competition at school. Flying has always interested me and I know that I'll be applying for Cabin Attendant jobs here there and everywhere! British Airways has gone down hill and everyones always talking about how these trolly dollys deserve little pay. I want to show them a time when being a Stewardess was one of the best jobs you could possibly have. My story is about a couple called Chris and Erin who can't get married because it's against B.O.A.C policy for a Stewardess to have a husband or a boyfriend and they end up going to extreme lengths to hide their relationship from the company!
    Happy Flying! ;)
    Luke Anderson, BOAC

Don replied to Luke Anderson on April 14, 2011 | Reply

Luke,

A scan of the BOAC Junior Jet Club Log Book blank pages has been sent. Good luck on the book!

Bill Lindsay said on May 8, 2011 | Reply

I have my BOAC Junior Jet Club book, two BOAC Menu Cards and my 25000 certificate. Unfortunately I no longer have my badge.
    My first flight was London to New York (via Gander) on 9/9/59 on a Britannia aircraft (GAOVH). I was six.
    I note that other members handed their log books in on flights with other airlines but I only handed it in on BOAC flights.
    In the 60's and 70's my brother and I flew between the UK and Jamaica and then the UK and Mexico. I have recorded flights between 1959 and 1968 but then lost the book. I re-found it again in 2001 and since then have handed it in for signing. The book is now full.
    Another link is the fact that our guardian was the painter Roy Nockolds who produced posters for BOAC; one is in the BA lounge in Heathrow.
    Ah well, fond memories! I've never been the same since holding so many lovely stewardesses hands as an unaccompanied minor!
    Bill Lindsay

63. Hi Paddy
    In 1960 my Sister and I aged 7 and 8 flew from Toronto to London in a Vanguard Turboprop I think it was Trans Canada Airlines.We flew back 18 months later in a BOAC 707 and received a Jr log book and wings and the Stewardesses made a big fuss about us unlike on TCA.
    Glad I remember flying on a turboprop.It took 11 hours and very noisy .

Jennifer Bidwell said on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Once at boarding school in Scotland my siblings and I used to travel back and forward for summer holidays between London and Calcutta. I have a strong recollection that when the flight reached Karachi all passengers left the plane and stayed overnight at 'Speedbird House'. I vaguely remember sleeping in a bed and then having breakfast before boarding the plane again with the next stop being Calcutta.
    Does anyone else recall doing this ..... probably people going on to Singapore and Australia?
    The flights were about 23 hours in total to Calcutta and somehow they passed quickly and were never boring. Not something that can be said of flying today.

Sam said on May 25, 2011 | Reply

I had a junior flight log book. I must try and find it! Only two entries I think. I travelled to Jamaica in the early 70's... My thrill for travel started at a very young age....!!

Mrs Veronica Clibbery said on July 4, 2011 | Reply

Hello,
    I was a member of the JJC, and the badge was an automatic follow on when you joined, as far as I can remember. I joined in June 1961 when the family flew to Singapore on a Britannia. My father was in the RAF. We flew back in January 1964 to a very cold and bleak Stansted in a BUA Britannia, but they also completed my log book. Sadly I have since lost the book and badge, but I do remember a day trip organised in Singapore in either 1962 or 1963, it was to a barbecue at Pula Ubin, a small island off Singapore. It was supposed to be by boat from Raffles Quay in town to the island and back, but so many kids turned up, that they decided to bus us to the nearest point on the Singapore mainland, then ferry us across to the island. From what I remember it was a great day. I know the older children, (ie over 11) some came to boarding school in the UK, and some of them not only clocked up 25K, but 50, 75 and even 100,000 mile certificates, by flying back and forward to the UK, whilst their parents were in Singapore. I hasten to add that I never even made 25000!
    Yours with many thanks,
    Mrs Veronica Clibbery

Alastair said on September 17, 2011 | Reply

Memories! My first flight age 5 was from Prestwick to New York JFK on a BA VC10. Travelling with my Mother and 3 brothers, we were on our way to join my Father who had started work in Jamaica a few months earlier. We were supposed to connect with a flight to Kingston from JFK but because of a delay, missed it and scored a night in New York at the airlines expense. Travelled to Kingston next day on Pan Am.

A few years later I was shipped off to boarding school in Scotland and travelled backwards and forwards to Kingston for holidays. Usually 707s until 747s took over the route. Loved flying in those days, it was something to look forward to for a month beforehand! School food was so bad that you actually looked forward to the in flight meal! Proper printed menus with photos of BA/BOAC destinations on the cover. Those little pink rectangular soaps in the toilet somehow found their way to school with me, oops... Moved to the Seychelles in the mid 70s and continued to fly with BA. Another VC10 first visit, then 747s again.

More memories.. Those horrible headsets with the rubber tubes that gave you very sore ears after an hour of wearing them! I still remember some of the tracks on the pop music channel. Magic by Pilot; Pigs by Pink Floyd; Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, etc.. Proper cooked breakfast on the Glasgow/London shuttle. Tridents and Vanguards. Flights that weren't always non-stop, so stops in places like Bermuda or Nassau on the Jamaica route; Addis Ababba or Nairobi going to Seychelles. People being allowed to smoke on the plane ( so at least one thing has changed for the better). Film being shown on one screen at the front of the cabin. Visits to the cockpit.

All in all, just such a vastly more pleasurable experience in comparison to modern day travel.

Alastair said on September 22, 2011 | Reply

Great site!

Been a JJC member since October 1971. First flight was Heathrow to Auckland on a 707 via Hong Kong, then after a 7 hour wait, on to Auckland on a Air New Zealand DC8 (which, even aged eight seemed rather downmarket after BOAC.)

Then back to Heathrow on a VC10 in August 1974. Even then, the aircraft had been relivered as a BA plane.

Went completely downmarket in March 1975 when I returned to Auckland on a Pan-Am 747 via Seattle, then back to Blighty via Singapore on a British Airways 747.

Next BA flight was Manchester to Dublin in October 1976, on, I think a 737.

Never got my 25000 mile certificate

Since then all flights have been non- BA and will remain so until I get my 25000 mile certificate, so there.

Still got my JJC logbook and pin badge.

Erik said on September 23, 2011 | Reply

My name is Bengt Erik Akerblom. On Aug 3 1971 I was a 10 year old boy on a BOAC Flight 600 from Montreal to London. There was a bomb scare and we ended up flying to Denver Colorado. It was an extraordinary trip and we spent about 26 hours caught up in the ordeal. I was wondering if any of you had anything in your archives about this incident that I could share with my children. Maybe since this is an unusual request you could forward it to someone who may know more. No hurry and no worry if you can't. I just wondered all my life about the event and still remember it.

Venky said on October 16, 2011 | Reply

Hi Erik,

Check out this site: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=861&dat=19710804&id=nAodAAAAIBAJ&sjid=oVkEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5960,586201

Judith McGinness said on February 5, 2012 | Reply

I still have my log book with its solitary entry....London to Melbourne in 1964. We were Ten Pound Migrants, among the few who travelled by plane instead of a ship. I also have a BOAC paper/bamboo fan which was issued to all passengers prior to many pitstops in hot countries. I am currently writing my reminiscences of our journey and transition to life in Australia on a Migrant Hostel forum.

www.migrantweb.com
    Altona Hostel thread.

Colin Crichton said on February 13, 2012 | Reply

I still have my logbook starting in 1962, when I was eight months old, to 1974, when I was 13 years old. My Father worked in Calcutta, India, and my Mother would fly with my Sister and I, most years between '62 and '74. In that time we covered over 100,00 miles. Only since having a close look at the logbook, with my son, did I notice that I should have sent it away to get the special mileage certificates. Like many on this string, I will carry it again and ask the pilots to mark it up

Umar Anis said on March 19, 2012 | Reply

Dear all you,

Hello all you yes In 1980 Famous Captain Leo Budd met me and invited me to cockpit and gave me BA JJC log book. I like him very much. My late uncle Captain M.F. Nasir was very senior pilot PIA's first B747 1976 look after take care me flight between London and Pakistan during school holiday. In 1980 PIA B747 AP-AYW did not arrive Rawalipindi now Islamabad from London then my late uncle Capt. Nasir helped me transfer from PIA to BA Super VC10 and he asked Captain Leo Budd (jump seat) look after take care of me then Captain Led Budd put BA JJC badge and gave me BA log book. He sympathetic me cry tear good bye to my late uncle Capt. Nasir then I was surprised of Capt.Leo Budd showed me to cockpit and sat jumpseat watched took off & Landed. He told me that he pilot Concorde and VC10. then after few months I showed BA log book & Capt. Leo Budd to my late Capt. Nasir was very surprised good read it lovely. I want to see meet Capt. Leo Budd but I lost his contact and picture in 1981 and I missed Capt. Leo Budd. I never forget Capt. Leo Budd and my late uncle Capt. Nasir because Capt. Leo Budd was very good log book and my late uncle Capt. Nasir was very good introduced me to see meet many pilot. He was B707 in 1960-1973 showed me to first officer Captain Asif in 1969 saw me baby then Capt. Asif was B747 PIA 1998-2009 and Capt.Asif was famous pilot Boeing 777 Protype 23 hours nonstop from Hong Kong to London LHR November 2005. I love sit jumpseat in cockpit for take off and landing but after 11 September 2001 some other airline banned jumpseat but few airlines still allow staff ID ticket non revenue for employed and spouse wife, husband and children over 12 years allowed sit jump seat of Captain decision but some other Captain know me very well and allowed me to cockpit but still locked shut cockpit door all times. I have been flew all Aircraft USA and France and Concorde execpit Russian Aircraft. I have been flew in jumpseat cockpit in Concorde in 1997. Long time ago airline staff ID ticket were very good major airline ID90 but now changed ZED and it most expensive. Have nice day. Best wishes regards

Liz Hegarty said on April 7, 2012 | Reply

I have just found my JJC Log Book - It's been hidden in the loft for decades! It records my flights from London to Aden and Aden to Mombasa in the early 1960s. Don't know what happened to the badge, but I do have the 25,000 certificate awarded on 14/12/1961 (When I was 11 years old!)

Also found my own diary of the flights (my father was a Wing Commander in the RAF posted in Aden and I was at boarding school in Berkshire).

Fascinating stuff!

The other week I met a taxi driver who was also a JJC member; neither of us had met another member in all our adult lives. I hadn't realised that folk still have their miles logged - I could have built up some mileage! - but nothing was ever quite as exciting as those lollipop flights home.

75. I may have been the stewardess who completed the log book to take to the Captain to sign for you!
    I flew with BOAC for many years, I worked on VC10's and 707's, well done on keeping your log book and badge. I take it you received all your birthday cards!

Best wishes to you
    Geraldine.

David Tarrant said on May 7, 2012 | Reply

My father was in the diplomatic service, so I travelled extensivley as a child and always BOAC. I had two log books, managing to get my badge and certificate. Sadly, my first log book with the most interesting flights (Comets, Britannias, 707s etc) went walkies some years ago. I still have the second with all the flights to Mexico (707s) in the mid to late 60s and early 70s as an UM. I loved every minute of every flight and still have very fond memories of those easy days; I still think that the livery was and is the smartest to adorn a civil airliner. As a result, I always wanted to be an airline pilot, so for some strange reason, I joined the Royal Navy instead(!).

I remember on an outbound flight to Mexico when the aircraft was in Bermuda and we were scheduled to be on the ground for an hour or two. Most of the passengers had disembarked and so some of the cabin crew took the few remaining passengers to the beach next to the airfield. Being an UM, I had to stay on board and was sooooo jealous!

I didn't know that I could get further miles logged... I have travelled extensively with BA and others (joining and leaving ships); ho hum. Would love to find my first log book.

77. Hi, I flew from London to Miami somewhere in the period of June to August of 1971....I was 9 years old and I thought that the aircraft was a Boeing 707 400 series (with the Rolls Royce engines).....could you let me know if BOAC flew the 400 series to Miami in 1971?

Also...did BOAC ever fly the VC-10 to Miami?

Best Regards,
    Mario Vuksanovic (Airline Enthusiast)

Paul Darwin said on June 23, 2012 | Reply

At 51 years of age I've taken an early retirement from active duty as a pilot. Since 1979 I have logged a moderate tally of fractionally under 9000 hours in the air and in the process, I've filled up several log books. My younger brother reminded me the other day that the first of my log books was in fact the BOAC Junior Jet Club log book which pre-dates my first actual log book by ten years! Back in 1970 my brother and I joined the Junior Jet Club. We flew with our family several times between Johannesburg and London - our family was based in Swaziland for several years around that time.

The first BOAC flight we undertook I will never forget. On a cold and rainy April evening we boarded the Super VC-10 which was under the command of a certain Captain Bristow bound for Jo'burg via Frankfurt and Nairobi. Stepping from the air-bridge into the cabin I remember two flight attendants (steward and stewardess as they were referred to then) fooling around and dancing to the Dionne Warwick/Burt Bacharach tune 'Do you know they way to San Jose'! I also remember on that flight eating my first ever olive (the saltiness I hated at the time - suffice to say I love them now!) and I remember being blinded by the brilliant sunshine which greeted us early the following morning at Nairobi as we walked down the steps from the VC-10 onto the apron towards the terminal building. Memories. . . happy memories!

Nick Finan said on October 27, 2012 | Reply

Hi. I was one of the few who was a member of the JJC. I was an army child and my parents moved to Hong Kong (the REAL airport Kai Tak) in 1971. I was at boarding school in the UK and from the age of 7 years and 2 months I used to fly home to Hong Kong at the end of every term. I used to fly from LHR on BOAC and latterly BA 747s but my flights back to the UK were on a special old "friend" the Super VC10s. Those were back in the days when customer service existed, where travellers were all first class regardless of actual ticket class.
    The flights out and back were multi stop and included such places as Rome, Baghdad, Dubai, Bangkok, Delhi etc etc where we were allowed to disembark and roam around the transit lounge at each airport. My last flight home to the UK was aboard an RAF VC10 with its rear facing seats. Sadly those special days have long gone but are a very real and special memory. My JJC book was lost many years ago but I do recall that my last entry took me over 150,000 miles flown. From the age of 1 onwards I flew on such beasts as Viscounts, Shorts Skyvans (nightmare), BAC1-11s and with such carriers as BEA, Dan Air London, BMA and Britannia Airways. I also recall MANY happy hours sitting up front and even having a wee shot at the controls on a flight from Benbecula to Glasgow in a Skyvan. Sadly those days have now long gone, consigned to memories and history books by a few "people" who decided to ruin it for us all. I still fly often today (I dread to think how many miles I have covered) but more often than not, its a chore rather than the excitement that we ALL felt back in the heady days of early jet transport. I believe the RAF will shortly be consigning the VC10s to the dustbin. So ends the life of a superb airliner. People who have only flown for the past 20-30 years will never get to feel what it was really like to be treated like royalty. Does anyone recall the little packs given out to kids on longhaul flights that included pencils, books and games? Does anyone recall the little racks on the bulkheads that held postcards showing the aircraft they were currently flying in? Hmmmmmmm memories.

MEHMOOD HUSSAIN said on August 2, 2013 | Reply

PAST GOLDEN OLD DAYS, IS NOW IN MY FRESH MEMORY, BOAC AIR SERVICE WAS VERY LAUDABLE AND INTIME SERVICE, IN 1960, I TRAVELLED WITH MY LATE MOTHER TO CALCUTTA TO SEE MY AILING
    GRAND MOTHER, DURING THIS 8 HOURS FLIGHT, THE PLANE LANDED
    SOMEWHERE IN CITY OF INDIA DUE TO SOME EMERGENCY, CAPTAIN
    BOB, REGRETTED VERY MUCH IN MANY INSTANCES AND WE SAFELY LANDED AT DUM DUM AIRPORT CALCUTTA, IT WAS A WONDERFUL JOURNEY, AIRCREW MEMBERS WERE VERY FUNNY, JOKES AND THEIR
    PRESENTATION WAS VERY LOVABLE,

STILL I REMEMBERS,
    MEHMOOD,
    mehmoodfaiz@yahoo.com

Shea Oakley said on October 20, 2013 | Reply

My dad picked up my first JJC logbook when I was 4 months old and on my first flight ever. He, mu mom and I were flying from JFK to Bermuda on BOAC Super VC-10 G-ASGJ. I went through four of those glorious blue and gold logbooks before, at age 16, I found a generic logbook because I felt I wasn't a "junior" anymore :). I have logged virtually every commercial flight between that first one in June, 1968 and today. My logbooks are probably my most precious material possessions. If my house were on fire it would be my wife and then the logbooks which would get saved first.

The JJC began a life-long passion for commercial aviation. Today I am the director of an air museum in New Jersey, USA.

Sarka McCallum said on June 21, 2014 | Reply

Hello,
    I would love a scan of a blank log book page-I have been filling pages of the current BA log book for my daughter, but we are running out of space Can you please e-mail me a page? Thank you! Best regards, Sarka

Don replied to Sarka McCallum on July 25, 2014 | Reply

My apologies for the delay, your comment somehow got lost in the system. I have sent an email with a scan of the log book to you.

Kerry Evans replied to Erik on September 24, 2014 | Reply

Hello Erik not sure if this site is still active but I too was on that flight at the age of 9 and have been intrigued by it. I have found some news stories on the web and have the pilots and flight info in my wings book. If you come a cross anything of interest I would appreciate a possible contact. Cheers